Services for expatriates around the world


Visas and Permits

Guides & Articles

A Visa for Malta

Malta is a Schengen Member State and EU/EEA nationals do not require a visa to enter Malta. Non-EU/EEA nationals require a visa to enter Malta (visas are valid for a maximum of 90 days). Non-EU/EEA nationals cannot stay in Malta longer than 90 days in any 180 day period.

Residence Permits: Non EU or Third Country Nationals

Residence permits are issued by the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs. This office is located in the Castille Place building, between Upper Barrakka Gardens and the Auberge de Castille, in Valletta. Go early in the day as the office is only open 830hrs/8:30am to 1130hrs/11:30am and lineups/queues can be long.

Political System in Malta

Malta has two levels of government: central (House of Representatives) and municipal (local councils). Malta has 68 local councils – 54 in Malta and 14 in Gozo.

The Judicial System in Malta

The Maltese Judicial System is a two-tier system with a Court of First Instance presided by a Judge or Magistrate, and a Court of Appeal, consisting of one to three Judges. There are also various Tribunals for specialized areas, almost all of which provide appeals to a Court on points of law.

Getting an ID Card

You can obtain a Maltese ID card if you are a Maltese national, an EU citizen, or a non-EU citizen holding a Maltese residence permit, working permit, or freedom of movement permit. Information on how to get (and renew) your ID card is provided in our article.

Subscribe to Guides Malta-Visas and Permits