Bright!Tax US Tax Service


The US tax system is unusual, as it taxes based on citizenship. All American citizens in New Zealand, as well as green card holders, who earned over $12,550 in 2021 (in total, globally, in any currencies), or just $400 of self-employment income, or just $5 of any income if they are married to a foreigner but file separately are required to file a US federal tax return reporting their worldwide income.

Therefore filling US Tax return can quickly becoming a nightmare, with US living in New Zealand having often to file two tax returns, one to the IRS and another in the country where they live, and facing huge fines if the requirements are not completed on time. That's why you will greatly benefit using a US Expat Tax Filling professional service.

Why use Bright!Tax

With clients in over 200 countries, Bright!Tax has helped thousands of Americans file their US taxes from abroad, smoothly, in their best interests, online, and on time.

Bright!Tax can give you authoritative information regarding your particular circumstance in New Zealand. They have streamlined the process and help get you all the way where you need to be – worry free.

They guarantee that your taxes will be done right and with every consideration made on your behalf, employing every tax saving opportunity while remaining absolutely tax compliant.

How it works

Bright!Tax has developed a streamless process that allow you to complete your US returns efficiently, accurately and worry free.

Once you get in touch with their team using the form below they will advise you how to register, connect with your Bright!Tax CPA, complete your Secure Client Profile and upload necessary documents. Their experts then prepare your tax return and eFile your Taxes.


  • US Expat Federal Tax Return - $459: Flat fee includes these forms: 1040, 2555, 1116, Sch.C, one K-1, one rental property, up to 20 bank interest/dividend entries and brokerage transactions.
  • Additional Federal Returns - $359: Adding additional years' returns and becoming fully compliant with US tax laws is one of their areas of expertise.
  • State Tax Returns - $159: Some US states require US expatriates to file taxes on their income as well. It varies by state and the rules are different for each one.
  • IRS Streamlined Procedure - $957: IRS amnesty program that allows expats to catch up with their US tax filing and become fully compliant without facing any penalties. The package includes 3 tax returns. If you have to file FBARs (requires if over $10,000 in foreign accounts) add $79/ year. So a maximum 3 tax returns and 6 FBARs costs $1,431.
  • FBAR Reporting - $99: the Foreign Bank Account Report (FinCEN Form 114) is required for individuals who have foreign accounts with balances that in total exceeded $10,000 any time during the tax year.
  • FATCA Reporting - $149: the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (Form 8938), is required for individuals with total assets, in aggregate, beginning at over $50,000.

Bright!Tax provides also services to help with Foreign corporate returns (form 5471) and for the full Relief Procedures for Certain Former Citizens (Renouncing US Citizenship). This is especially useful for those 'accidental' Americans who aren't US tax compliant can face negative treatment from foreign banks.

For any package, don't worry, they can easily accommodate, should you have more to fill. In addition, should you wish to talk with a tax adviser independently of any package offered, to address other questions or concerns, you can use their Individual Professional Consultation ($180 for 30 minutes).

Banking Service

Last but not least, Bright!Tax has partnered with the United Nations Federal Credit Union (UNFCU) to offer their expat clients access to UNFCU banking services (United Nations Federal Credit Union). No more difficulty accessing banking services abroad!

If you want to use UNFCU banking services, ask a referral code when using Bright!Tax services.

Got a Question About Your US Taxes? Get In Touch Now!

If you are happy to go ahead and work with us on your US tax prep, use the form below and we'll connect you with your Bright!Tax CPA.

Please don't forget to indicate the international country code.

(*) Those fields are mandatory.
Enter the code exactly as you see it. The code is case sensitive.

Bright!Tax © is the premier online tax preparation firm for Americans living abroad. All CPAs. Secure. Precise. Guaranteed.