Australia Permanent Resident Visas

Australia Permanent Resident Visas

You can apply for a permanent visa after you have:
Lived for two years in a Specified Regional Area and worked, including being self-employed, for one year in these same areas.
Obtained sponsorship under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status (CERS)

Only Australian permanent residents are eligible for a Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status (CERS). A CERS is an official certificate confirms your status as an Australian permanent resident. It verifies your eligibility to live and work in Australia.

How to Apply

  • You can apply by post or in person
  • Check whether you are able to confirm your immigration status through the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system.
  • Complete application Form 164 for evidence of resident status.
  • Prepare supporting documentation including proof of identity (drivers license or a passport)

If you apply in person with all relevant information, a CERS is issued on the same day. If you apply by post, you should recieve a CERS in approximately 10 working days.

  • Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status - $100
  • Certificate of status (New Zealand citizen in Australia) - $55
  • Verification of status (Superannuation contributions) - $55

(All fees and charges are in Australian dollars and include GST.)

New Zealand Residents

Citizens of New Zealand may apply for a Certificate of Status for New Zealand Citizens in Australia (CSNZCA). New Zealand citizens who hold a SCV do not need to apply for a CSNZCA to work in Australia or remain in the country indefinitely.

Resident Return

If you are a present or former permanent resident of Australia who lived in Australia during at least 9 of your first 18 years, or if you completed at least 3 months of service in the Australian armed forces before January 19, 1981, you may qualify for a Resident Return visa to reside in Australia permanently. You may also include your spouse or de facto partner and dependent children under the same visa application.

This visa allows you to work and study in Australia without restriction. You are also eligible to receive subsidized healthcare under Australian Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), draw social security payments and eventually earn Australian citizenship status. You may also sponsor other applicants for permanent resident status, subject to waiting periods.

Five Year Resident Return Visas

If you are a permanent resident and plan to travel outside of Australia, you should obtain a Five Year Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155). This visa allows you to travel to and from Australia without restriction during a five-year period while retaining your permanent resident status. You should apply for the visa before leaving Australia.